Red Sonja and Vampirella meet Betty and Veronica #2 Review

Title: Red Sonja and Vampirella Meet Betty and Veronica #2
Publisher: Dynamite
Words: Amy Chu
Art: Maria Sanapo
Colors: Vinicius Andrade 
Published: June 19, 2019

Publisher’s Summary: The body count increases, and the mystery deepens as Vampirella and Red Sonja investigate the deaths plaguing Riverdale High. Turns out American high school life is as mysterious and perplexing as the murders themselves! Meanwhile Betty and Veronica have troubles of their own when they butt heads with the editor of the school newspaper over their investigative news coverage. Is there a coverup afoot?

Review

With a homicidal person or people about town and the body count rising, Red Sonja, Vampirella, Betty, and Veronica are determined to get to the bottom of the mystery. The only problem? No one in town is willing to believe their theories. To save the town, and possibly themselves, the foursome will have to go deep into the town archives to uncover the truth.

The mystery heats up as the foursome don their sleuthing caps and get to work collecting clues. Amy Chu’s storytelling strikes just the right chord between Nancy Drew-esque detective work and supernatural phenomena. In Red Sonja and Vampirella Meet Betty and Veronica #2, readers learn a bit more about the team-up and the mystery, propelling the storyline forward at a brisk pace. While the team-up seemed improbable at the start, Chu weaves the foursome together in unexpected, but exciting ways. As for the mystery, I’m inclined to believe something seriously spooky is afoot in the halls of Riverdale High School, and I’m not just talking about the typical high school horrors.

Maria Sanapo’s art is clean and detailed, and Vinicius Andrade’s colors are vivid. Together the pair set just the right tone, somewhere between teen drama and high school horror. The cafeteria panels with Jughead and the lunch lady were probably my favorite this issue. There’s a sense of the horror of the mundane in these panels that really strikes me. Plus, I’m a sucker for a great set-up scene.

Bottom Line

Red Sonja and Vampirella Meet Betty and Veronica #2 continues to build momentum and intrigue. Fans should not miss this team-up.

The Bottom Line
Yes!
The horrors continue, but is there a plot twist in our future?
No...
8.5
Score

Jaimee Nadzan
Jaimee Nadzanhttps://www.thebrazenbull.com
When she's not hanging with her gang at The Bronze, this young Sunnydale resident slays...wait, no, that's Buffy Summers. Jaimee serves as Editor here at The Brazen Bull.

Most Recent

Stray Dogs #1 Review

Stray Dogs is a delightful story in contrasts. The best of the good dogs have to solve a mystery, and I’m all in from the moment it starts.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Faith #1 Review

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Faith is a terrific jumping on point for the Buffyverse centering on one of the most conflicted characters of them all. A satisfying entry in the canon for old and new fans alike.

Two Moons #1 Review

A war-torn horror tale that's steeped equally in blood and magic, Two Moons is not to be missed. This first issue sets the stage for what promises to be an unforgettable series.
- Advertisment -