Red Sonja and Vampirella meet Betty and Veronica #2 Review

Title: Red Sonja and Vampirella Meet Betty and Veronica #2
Publisher: Dynamite
Words: Amy Chu
Art: Maria Sanapo
Colors: Vinicius Andrade 
Published: June 19, 2019

Publisher’s Summary: The body count increases, and the mystery deepens as Vampirella and Red Sonja investigate the deaths plaguing Riverdale High. Turns out American high school life is as mysterious and perplexing as the murders themselves! Meanwhile Betty and Veronica have troubles of their own when they butt heads with the editor of the school newspaper over their investigative news coverage. Is there a coverup afoot?

Review

With a homicidal person or people about town and the body count rising, Red Sonja, Vampirella, Betty, and Veronica are determined to get to the bottom of the mystery. The only problem? No one in town is willing to believe their theories. To save the town, and possibly themselves, the foursome will have to go deep into the town archives to uncover the truth.

The mystery heats up as the foursome don their sleuthing caps and get to work collecting clues. Amy Chu’s storytelling strikes just the right chord between Nancy Drew-esque detective work and supernatural phenomena. In Red Sonja and Vampirella Meet Betty and Veronica #2, readers learn a bit more about the team-up and the mystery, propelling the storyline forward at a brisk pace. While the team-up seemed improbable at the start, Chu weaves the foursome together in unexpected, but exciting ways. As for the mystery, I’m inclined to believe something seriously spooky is afoot in the halls of Riverdale High School, and I’m not just talking about the typical high school horrors.

Maria Sanapo’s art is clean and detailed, and Vinicius Andrade’s colors are vivid. Together the pair set just the right tone, somewhere between teen drama and high school horror. The cafeteria panels with Jughead and the lunch lady were probably my favorite this issue. There’s a sense of the horror of the mundane in these panels that really strikes me. Plus, I’m a sucker for a great set-up scene.

Bottom Line

Red Sonja and Vampirella Meet Betty and Veronica #2 continues to build momentum and intrigue. Fans should not miss this team-up.

The Bottom Line
Yes!
The horrors continue, but is there a plot twist in our future?
No...
8.5
Score

Jaimee Nadzan
Jaimee Nadzanhttps://www.thebrazenbull.com
When she's not hanging with her gang at The Bronze, this young Sunnydale resident slays...wait, no, that's Buffy Summers. Jaimee serves as Editor here at The Brazen Bull.

Most Recent

Review: HBO Max’s ‘Superintelligence’

Superintelligence gets points for its fresh genre blend, its fun characters, and the uplifting and thought-provoking lessons we learn by the end. 

Monstress: Talk Stories #1 (of 2) Review

An intimate portrait of a beloved character that has all the charm and more of the intimacy of the main series. Lovely and heartfelt. I could not have asked for more.

I Walk With Monsters #1: Vault Comic Book Review

A hair-raising debut that leaves readers wanting more, I Walk With Monsters #1 is a well-crafted introduction to what very well may be your new favorite horror series.
- Advertisment -